Fossil Forum

Is daily digest working?
Login

Is daily digest working?

Is daily digest working?

(1) By stevel on 2018-08-15 08:40:01 [source]

I subscribed for alerts, got one then changed to Daily Digest and haven't had anything more. Has anyone else got daily digest working?

As an aside, I have greylisting enabled although this post indicates that shouldn't be a problem https://fossil-scm.org/forum/forumpost/1d93de7f0cd5b78283ee5c37fcfe2562a36330f08ef9bbfb18cdbee74a270f1b

(2) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2018-08-15 09:56:15 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Has anyone else got daily digest working?

I had it enabled on one of my accounts for a while. The daily digest emails were going out a bit after 12pm UTC at the time, which is a bit over 2 hours from the time I'm writing this. I assume that schedule hasn't changed since then.

If you click the big Subscribe button above, does it send you to /subscribe or to /alerts? If the former, you aren't actually subscribed: it fools you — or at least, it fooled me — into believing you're subscribed because several of the boxes are checked. These are just defaults, and won't take effect until you actually Submit your subscription.

If it's sending you to /alerts instead, then I have no idea what's going on. That's where normal users go when they're subscribed to edit that active subscription.

(Admin users stay on /subscribe because it lets them edit other users' subscriptions. They have to click a button on the /subscribe page that shows up only for Admins, labelled "My Subscription", which sends them manually to /alerts.)

I have greylisting enabled

Since you're running your own server, can you not examine your logs to see if the Fossil mail server is attempting to deliver something and failing?

...this post indicates...

Pro tip: use Markdown formatting and paste such URLs in [like this](/forumpost/abcd1234) to give a nice inline link for web forum readers and forum archive spelunkers. For those reading via email alerts, it is currently less helpful, but that shouldn't be too difficult an enhancement to make. Fossil already knows all it needs to in order to expand the URLs, it just doesn't do that yet.

(3) By ronw on 2018-08-15 16:12:36 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I have been receiving daily alerts, so far.

(4) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2018-08-16 17:49:17 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Perhaps related:

Users with moderator privilege are suppose to receive notifications when there are posts available for moderation. But I don't think that component is working correctly. At least, I have never yet received an alert that about a pending moderation request, at least not that I have noticed.

(5) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2018-08-16 18:00:16 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

I've received several moderation request emails. Odd that you haven't come across them. Does it send out the moderation request to all moderators simultaneously? If not, maybe the post is approved before sending to you.

(6) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2018-08-16 21:35:38 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Are you using daily digests, drh? If so, maybe the "pending moderator approval" messages are being held until the daily digest goes out, by which time jb is right, another moderator has already taken care of it. I've done many approvals now in the small hours.

Even if you're not using daily digests, I think that issue deserves some thought: if a person is signed up for daily digests and is a moderator, do the pending moderator approval messages go out immediately anyway, despite the user's expressed preference?

I got pending moderator approval messages for both of Roy Keene's recent posts. [1] [2]