ZLIB version 1.2.11 for OS/400 installation instructions
1) Download and unpack the zlib tarball to some IFS directory.
If the installed IFS command suppors gzip format, this is straightforward,
else you have to unpack first to some directory on a system supporting it,
then move the whole directory to the IFS via the network (via SMB or FTP).
2) Edit the configuration parameters in the compilation script.
Tune the parameters according to your needs if not matching the defaults.
Save the file and exit after edition.
3) Enter qshell, then work in the zlib OS/400 specific directory.
4) Compile and install
The script will:
- create the libraries, objects and IFS directories for the zlib environment,
- compile all modules,
- create a service program,
- create a static and a dynamic binding directory,
- install header files for C/C++ and for ILE/RPG, both for compilation in
DB2 and IFS environments.
Notes: For OS/400 ILE RPG programmers, a /copy member defining the ZLIB
API prototypes for ILE RPG can be found in ZLIB/H(ZLIB.INC).
In the ILE environment, the same definitions are available from
file zlib.inc located in the same IFS include directory as the
C/C++ header files.
Please read comments in this member for more information.
Remember that most foreign textual data are ASCII coded: this
implementation does not handle conversion from/to ASCII, so
text data code conversions must be done explicitely.
Mainly for the reason above, always open zipped files in binary mode.