The 3rd edition is still not finished. Content is being added continuously including new sections on various new topics. To follow the progress, have a look at the detailed Timeline.
The content of the fossil clone that Chris maintains was replicated into the original Fossil repository to document the changes in one place.
In this forum post, Chris presented what he had done to initiate a 3rd edition of the FossilBook:
- existing files in Chapters/*.tex were imported into Lyx to create *.lyx and the content of these files was displayed in Lyx and selected/copied/pasted into my editor then saved as Chapters/*.md
- the *.md files have been edited lightly:
- the chapter entry was given a two-hash prefix.
- interior section headers were given a three-hash prefix.
- interior sub-section headers were given a four-hash prefix.
- unordered list prefix was changed from a non-standard bullet symbol to a plus sign, which will present as a bullet in markdown.
- instances of the back-tick have different meanings in TH1 and Markdown so they have been prefixed by backslash in the text.